If you love Berks County, PA, you may be interested in the celebrities and other famous people who have called the county home at some point in their lives!
Berks Real Estate specializes in residential real estate in Berks County, Chester County, Montgomery County, and beyond. Whether you are looking for a starter home, an estate home, or something in between, we can help you find the ideal property to fit your budget and lifestyle.
Notable Berks County Sons & Daughters
- Daniel Boone: Boone, born in 1734 in a log cabin near Birdsboro in Exeter Township, was a renowned American pioneer, explorer, woodsman, and frontiersman, who became one America’s first folk heroes. He is most famous for his exploration and settlement of what is now Kentucky. Be sure to visit the historic Daniel Boone Homestead which is just off U.S. Route 422 north of Birdsboro.
- Michael Constantine: Constantine is an award-winning Greek-American actor who was born in Reading in 1927 and is best known for his portrayal of principal “Seymour Kaufman” in the TV series, Room 222, and the Windex bottle-toting family patriarch “Gus Portokalos” in the My Big Fat Greek Wedding movies.
- Carl Anthony Furillo: Furillo was born in Stony Creek Mills in 1922. He was a Major League Baseball right-fielder who spent his entire career playing for the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers and was part of seven National League championship teams. His strong and accurate throwing arm earned him the nickname “The Reading Rifle.”
- Chad Hurley: Hurley is the co-founder and former CEO of YouTube, which he and partner Steve Chen sold for $1.65 billion to Google in 2006. He was born in Reading in 1977 and grew up in Birdsboro, graduating from the nearby Twin Valley High School, where he was a stand-out cross-country runner and helped Twin Valley win two of its PIAA State titles.
- Betsy King: King was born in Reading in 1955 and graduated from Exeter Township High School. She is a professional golfer who became a member of the LPGA Tour in 1977 and won six major championships and 34 LPGA Tour victories in all.
- Carl A Spaatz: Spaatz was a highly decorated American World War II general who served as commander of Strategic Air Forces in Europe in 1944 under the direct command of Gen. Dwight Eisenhower. He was born in Boyertown in 1891. Today, Carl A. Spaatz Field is the name of the regional airport that serves Reading and is home to the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum.
- Taylor Swift: Swift is a multi-Grammy award-winning American singer/songwriter and top recording star who was born in 1989 in Reading and later moved to Wyomissing, where she attended Wyomissing Area Junior/Senior High School.
- John Updike: Updike was an American novelist, poet, short story writer, art critic, and literary critic. He was born in Reading in 1932 and was raised in Shillington, where he graduated from Shillington High School as co-valedictorian and class president. Updike published more than 20 novels and was one of only three writers to win the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction more than once.
The Matt Wolf Team at Berks Real Estate with RE/MAX can answer all of your questions about famous people from Berks County. We’ll also work hard to help you find the perfect home at the perfect price. Call us today at 610-685-3189!
Here is just a small selection of homes that are available in Berks County, PA.
To view more listings in Berks County, please visit our Advanced Search function here: Search for Berks County Real Estate
[idx-listings county=”Berks” propertytypes=”424″ orderby=”DateAdded” orderdir=”DESC” count=”5″ showlargerphotos=”true”]