It’s great that you are interested in all the exciting things to do and see in the Greater Reading, Berks County area. Enjoy the Annual Jazz festival, visit one of our 30 museums, or cruise the country roads where festivals, wineries and Pennsylvania Dutch heritage surround you. Travel at your own pace while enjoying art, shopping at the Vanity Fair outlets, a Reading Phillies baseball game, and a lot more.Berks County is an urban area of 373,638 persons (2000 Census), situated in southeastern Pennsylvania. The county seat, which is the city of Reading, is 56 miles northwest of Philadelphia and the heart of the Delaware Valley region, which is one of the leading industrial and trade complexes in the nation. Schuylkill County borders the County on the north, on the west by Lebanon and Lancaster Counties, on the east by Lehigh County, and on the south by Chester and Montgomery Counties.
Despite its closeness to the Philadelphia metropolitan area, it is considered part of Pennsylvania’s Dutch Country. (SOURCE: Berks County Pennsylvania, Economic Resource Profile) Through numerous federal and state highways and turnpikes, the County is linked to other major cities such as New York (125 miles) and Baltimore (97 miles). The County is a diamond–shaped area of 864 square miles. Sections of the Blue and South Mountains, two ridges of the Appalachian Mountain chain, form its northern and southern boundaries with elevations averaging about 640 feet above sea level.The Schuylkill River and several of its main tributaries drain almost the entire county. The mean annual temperature is 54.3 degrees Fahrenheit. The fall and winter average is 38.9 degrees; the spring and summer average is 74.8 degrees. Average annual rainfall is 41.4 inches, and average annual snowfall is 30.6 inches. Whether you here on business or pleasure, you will find something to rev up your engine in Greater Reading, Pennsylvania. We can’t wait to see you!
ATTRACTIONS AND FESTIVALS
- Annual VF Outlet Berks Jazz Fest Over 130 scheduled events throughout Berks County, March – April
- Kutztown Festival Kutztown Fairgrounds, PO Box 306, Kutztown, PA 19530 610-683-1537
- America’s premier folklife festival Quilts, Crafts, Entertainment, Food, Kid Stuff
- Maple Grove Raceway 30 Stauffer Park Lane, Mohnton, PA 19540 610-856-7200
- Reading Phillies Baseball FirstEnergy Stadium, 1900 Centre Ave, Reading, PA 19612 610-375-8469
HISTORIC SITES AND MUSEUMS
- Reading Public Museum 500 Museum Rd Reading, PA 19611 610-371-5850
- Mid Atlantic Air Museum 11 Museum Dr, Reading, PA 19605 610-372-7333
- The Mid Atlantic Air Museum’s Annual World War II Weekend Reading, PA, Regional Airport
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary 1700 Hawk Mountain Rd, Kempton, PA 19529 610-756-6961
- Reading and Berks County Visitors Bureau 352 Penn St. Reading, PA 19602 610-375-4085 or 800-443-6610